It seems that everyone and their dog is asking how to travel the world while making money these days. The internet has opened up so many opportunities for everyday folk to make money online and live the nomadic lifestyle abroad, working remotely and watching the cash roll in. While this is possible, many bloggers oversimplify the process in order to do just that – to make money!
Here are Viral Dreaming, we’d like to take a more authentic approach to this question and show you how to travel the world while making money, providing you have the drive, determination and discipline to put some of our tips into practice. It’s not going to be easy, and unless you’re extremely fortunate, it won’t come quick. But the fact is, ANYONE can make money online. And when you achieve it, it’s one of the most liberating things you can ever do as it opens up a whole new world of travelling opportunities when it’s done right.
Before we get started, you may want to head over to our post on how to make money while working abroad if you’d like to consider a few of the ways you can make money while working a physical job in your preferred destination. OK, let’s get started.
How to Travel the World While Making Money Online
Rather than giving you an endless list of random ways of making money online, we decided to give you what we think are the 3 best ways to go about it. The criteria for this list are as follows;
- Easily integrated into the travel lifestyle
- Easy to get started
- Most potential for consistent income
And here’s the first….
Freelance writing is one of the most popular ways to make money online. If you can write interesting and engaging content for clients on sites like Upwork or Freelancer then you could make a living from doing something you love. However, that’s the tricky part! Finding a long-term project that interests you and pays well isn’t always easy, and you may have to take jobs that don’t excite you and don’t pay well while you build up your portfolio and feedback scores.
Don’t worry if your mother tongue is not English, Choosing your first language as a writer can help to find your niche.
Here are our top tips for getting freelance writing work on the biggest freelancing platforms;
- Make sure you have a lot of work online that you can link to in your proposals i.e. blog or LinkedIn posts.
- Only apply to jobs that you think will really serve you. If the client sounds like he/she doesn’t know what they’re talking about then avoid them. You can easily end up getting unfinished jobs or bad feedback on your profile from people who don’t know their own industry.
- Focus on long term contracts. Freelancing platforms value those jobs much more than the odd job for $10 and they serve you much better in the long run when you’re relying on this income as you travel.
- Make sure your job proposals are thorough and tailored to the role you are applying for. Clients get tons of crap proposals so make sure you stand out.
- Persistence is key – You may have to work for a lower amount of money than you’re used to in the early stages, but you will be able to raise your rates when you’ve built up credibility.
Of course, if you are skilled in graphic design, video editing or some other service that you can offer online then you can use Freelancing sites to find clients for that type of work too.
Teach English Online
Online English teaching has exploded in popularity in recent years. Create a profile, post an introductory video, set your prices, and off you go. You can teach from any location in the world and work around your own schedule. As with freelance writing, you don’t need any experience or qualifications to start, but you will need to spend time building your teaching profile and attracting (and maintaining) clients. You’ll also need to stand out from the crowd as some of these sites like DaDaABC and Landi have tons of teachers just like you who are searching for clients too.
Here are our top tips for online English teaching success;
- Make sure each lesson is a solution to a problem – keep things simple and always remember the needs of your learners.
- Ensure every lesson has a clear takeaway point – your learners should know exactly what it is they’ll be able to do at the end of the session.
- Be professional – always wear appropriate clothing and use a clean background i.e. white wall, no photos or mirrors etc.
- Make your classes engaging – engaging students online is more difficult than in real life, mix it up with interesting visuals, activities and quizzes.
- Who would benefit from your classes – your profile should clearly state what you can offer and why you are unique.
If you do it right, Affiliate marketing has the most potential to work remotely and independently. Affiliate marketing basically is: driving traffic to your website and redirect visitors to websites of products or services you recommend. On every Sale or lead you will earn commission.
You might think that building a website is time consuming and question yourself why you should get into affiliate marketing when you don’t have IT expertise. The truth is, that affiliate marketing is very simple … But you got to know where to start. Luckily there are a handful of platforms that can help you to become location and financially independent. Wealthy Affiliate is by far the best platform to teach you everything step by step.
Wealthy Affiliate gives you access to training and tools to build a niche affiliate marketing website, send traffic to it, and monetise it from the products you recommend. There are millions of different topics that you could potentially create a profitable blog on, so you need to get creative, and have fun; choose something you’re passionate about so that when the going gets tough, you still have the motivation to stay consistent. You’ll notice Wealthy Affiliate is a platform with a very active community of people just like yourself that is very responsive if you reach out for help (within minutes if not seconds).
Wealthy Affiliate lays the process out in four simple steps:
- Choose an Interest (niche)
- Build a Website
- Attract Visitors
- Earn Revenue
- Optimize your social engagement and content creation.
Sounds easy, right? Actually, as with any online endeavour, it does require hard work and dedication. But Wealthy Affiliate makes it a whole lot easier by providing you with world class training and guide you through the process step by step. What’s more, it’s FREE to get started. See what is included in this free service
As we have already mentioned, working online takes a lot of hard work and patience. If you’re thinking about how to travel the world while making money, you will need to build a solid online foundation before you go. If you fail to do this, you may not be able to sustain your lifestyle abroad. Working online doesn’t always provide a consistent income so you need to make sure you’re making more than enough money every month before you make any elaborate plans.
Here are our top tips on how to travel the world while making money;
- Quality – Whatever you do, provide quality service or produce quality content. No shortcuts.
- Originality – Don’t do what everyone else is doing. Put a different spin on it.
- Consistency – Online income can be inconsistent. Minimize this by working consistently!
If you’d like to get the wheels in motion and WIN your dream travel adventure, head over to the Viral Dreaming ENTER TO LIVE YOUR DREAM page and share your dream with us.